Incumbents inspect, isolate, troubleshoot and repair electrical malfunctions using various test instruments; maintain and repair fire, alarm, clock, programmable lighting and access systems; test electrical equipment for safety and efficiency; plan the layout and wiring of new or remodeled installations; fabricate electrical parts; inspect completed work for conformance with specifications, requirements and compliance with applicable building and safety codes and regulations; inspect related work performed by contractors; estimate cost, time and materials for electrical projects; participate in the maintenance and operations of an electrical shop; clean, maintain and service tools and equipment used in the performance of duties.
Key Duties And Responsibilities
Examples of key duties are interpreted as being descriptive and not restrictive in nature. The following duties are listed both as trade specific and shared responsibilities.
- Troubleshoots, repairs and maintains electrical distribution systems including electric motors, electric controls, fire alarms, and clock systems.
- Ensures campus fire alarms and emergency electrical systems are operational; performs certification testing on alarm systems.
- Installs, troubleshoots and repairs new equipment and systems, including all campus lights and programmable lighting controls.
- Monitors work done by outside contractors for adherence to National Electrical Code Requirements and reports back to supervisor.
- Assists in the writing of specifications for repairs and new construction.
- Maintains appropriate service and repair records.
- Researches, purchases and inventories equipment parts, chemicals and supplies.
- Responds to routine and emergency calls for repairs and service.
- May train and direct the work of other classified staff in the area.
- Assists and serves as back up to other Facilities employees.